Dr. Deanna is well-versed in hormone health and Bio-identical Hormone Replacement Therapy. She has received extensive training in advanced hormone health treatment.
Hormone optimization is essential for your health. Your hormones affect how you feel, how you look and how you think. Depending on your needs, there are a variety of treatment options to address hormone imbalances including dietary counselling, micronutrient or herbal supplementation, and if needed BHRT.
What is BHRT?
Bio-identical Hormone Replacement Therapy is the use of hormones that are derived from plant or food sources. Being derived this way, the hormones are structurally very similar to hormones made in the human body. The benefit of this approach to treating is that the body is able to freely recognize and use this compounds to their maximum potential.
What are some of the benefits of BHRT?
Some of the benefits you will notice with BHRT include:
- Balanced mood
- Increased energy and focus
- Regular menstrual cycles
- Decreased perimenopausal symptoms such as hot flashes, insomnia and vaginal dryness
Who can benefit from BHRT?
Anyone who has a clear hormone imbalance can benefit from BHRT. However, this is not always the first option, we as Naturopathic Doctors typically like to use diet, lifestyle, supplements and botanical medicine before opting to use BHRT.
Is BHRT a safe treatment option?
Hormone replacement has come a long way since its initial use. The main concerns with hormone replacement include your risk of blood clots, breast cancer and endometrial cancer. There is an increased risk of breast cancer, endometrial cancer and blood clots with ORAL estrogen. With TRANSDERMAL (topical) estrogen, there is no risk for blood clots and a decreased risk of breast cancer compared to oral estrogen. Added natural progesterone prevents endometrial cancer and has the added benefit of protecting breast tissue and reducing the risk of breast cancer. In summary the combination of transdermal estrogen
WITH progesterone (oral or topical) has no risk of blood clots, minimal risk of breast cancer and no risk of endometrial cancer. To ensure to upmost safety, Dr. Deanna partners with Nurse Partitioners to ensure you are being appropriately monitored with regular blood work and imaging if necessary.
What can I expect seeing Dr. Deanna for hormone health?
- Thorough investigation into your health history including all aspects of your lifestyle (ie. energy, stress, sleep, exercise, gut, etc.)
- Lab testing – determining which lab test is right for you (ie. blood, urine or saliva testing)
- Hormone quizzes and assessments
- Dietary assessment and meal planning
- Treatment plan including dietary and lifestyle modification and individualized supplementation based on intake and lab findings.
- Regular follow-up and retesting hormone levels to assess progress
Hormones are complex, dynamic and….fascinating! Once we determine the root cause, we will be on track to alleviate your symptoms and get you feeling like your optimal self!